Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A hike.

"Travel is only glamorous in retrospect." -Paul Theroux

Sometimes it's true. When we glance back through the photos we don't remember the fights, the headaches, the crying, or the near death experiences. Well maybe the last one.
Unless you're like me and you like to record every moment. I have a pen and a digital camera so watch out. Not to mention my awesome photographic and numerical memory. But they're important to me. I want to remember everything from my travels. The sand in my shoes, the scars on my knees, the songs that get stuck in my head, the one-liners that become famous quotes in my head. I stuff them all in my back pack and move on to new people and new places. My back pack gets heavier with everything I stuff into it, but I don't care. I won't take anything out. I want to remember how that house smelled and how that road sounded and how his laugh made me happy. I want to remember the way the music lulled me to sleep, and how the conversation was just so good that I couldn't go to sleep. I want to remember the past. Without it, I have no understanding of how I got here.

"Everywhere I go I find a poet who has been there before me." -Sigmund Freud

1 comment:

  1. Sand In My Shoes, sung by Dido. Look it up. It has nothing to do with your past, but I thought of it when I read that sentence.

    Also, I commented on my blog...I don't know if you get updates for that, but I decided to let you know. Basically, I reread my blog...it was like I had molested my own eyes with poor punctuation. Ridiculous...not mention how many words I left out....

    ReplyDelete