Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Meanwhile... in a town called Spoons...

Went to see New Moon on Sunday... wasn't bad. I liked it. I mean, I didn't leave the theatre wide-eyed and keeping my fingers crossed for the Oscars, but I was very well pleased with the production. And of course I loved the storyline. But I like romance in books and movies, so it's not that surprising.

With this story on my mind, I want to take a moment to express my irritation with Twilight obsessed people. I'm not just talking about the ones that sigh and squeel every time an Edward or Jacob shows up on a TV or a magazine cover or a door to Burger King. I'm also talking about those that sigh and roll their eyes and talk about how much it sucks and how Meyer ruined the vampire image and how it wasn't that great of a book and how Bella's an anti-feminist and whatever else came next that I tuned out.

I will say this one more time. I know I've said it before, but that doesn't stop people from complaining. Stephanie Meyer is not a bad writer. I think she has many strengths when it comes to fiction and painting imagery with words. I may not consider her works to be worthy of the classics, but I'm also sure there were many who were pissed when Dickens or Poe or Twain were put among them. If you want to go there, then I'll ask, what exactly makes something classic? As I think over this, the only response I can come up with is that it has to be so widely recognized and loved by the masses, that it becomes something timeless. Timeless=classic. It is so popular that it will be passed on to our kids. Classic -- because it's timeless. So basically, it is society (with their notoriously ever-changing popular viewpoint) that decides what is classic. And you know what? That's how it's always been. I guess in that case, Twilight could be on its way to "The Classics."

I don't have a problem with that. Again, if it's society that decides this, then what can I do? I don't have to like it. If having "Twilight" everywhere annoys me, so what? There are many things so much worse in this world, why would I dwell on a cult classic that will be replaced by something else in about 5 to 10 years? But the thing is, I do like it. I like the story. As stated before, I like that kind of thing.

As for her ruining the vampire image, well... that argument just sucks. Who owns the rights to non-sparkly vampires? Nobody. Guess what, y'all? It's her mythology. She created this world. She had the freakin dream, let her put it in the story. It's not a story that revolves around vampires anyway. It's a love story that just happens to have vampires involved. In fact, I may have been even more impressed with this than if she had just followed what had been decided about vampires long ago. She writes fiction. Fiction is creative writing. The thing about creative writing is that we get to do what we want. We get to CREATE. We get to do new things. We get to throw everyone else's rules out the window because following what everyone else does is not creative. Duh. If you like the other kind of vampires better, then go read about them and stop complaining.

As for the anti-feminism, well... I say just shut up. Bella chose what she wanted to do, and isn't that the foundation of feminism? She chose it. No one forced her into it so stop whining, feminazis. Geez.

If I have annoyed anyone with my love of the story, I apologize. Just so you know, this hasn't received any more attention than anything else I've fallen in love with in the past (such as Harry, Stars Hollow, the Winchesters, most recent crush). I'll do my best to be better. I know it's not easy. We, who claim to have a life, are rather annoyed with those who don't and live in this fantasy world of books. But I say just let them. They're not hurting anybody. Yet.

Next time you hear fifteen-year-old what's-her-name fawning over a Cullen or Quileute, just ignore it. By having to lash back all the time you become one of them -- an obsessed Twilight person. So don't let it get to you. And let me enjoy the movie. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment